Hi! I'm Serena, a writer, builder of strong communities, and spark plug for social change. By day, I work for American Rivers, an environmental nonprofit in our nation's capital, where I work with local communities, as well as state and federal agencies, to demonstrate how river restoration can benefit both human and aquatic communities. I raise large sums of money, gain press and attention for issues I care about, and manage projects and partners that make rivers safer and healthier. When I'm not working on behalf of rivers, I create fun content and search for ways to leave the world a little better than the way I found it.
Thanks for stopping by!
Five random things you may not know about me
- The loss of pop culture icons Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston was huge, but it's the death of Bernie Mac that will still sneak up on me and choke me up from time to time. So much of my swearing is styled after him.
- I was terrified of public speaking in college, so I signed up for the debate team.
- I still think that one day I'll be a spy-journalist-doctor.
- Somewhere out there video exists of me bungee jumping in high school.
- I feel like I have an inordinate amount of awkward peeing stories. Actually, you probably didn't need to know that.
The Fine Print
This is a personal website written and edited by me. All rants and opinions are entirely my own.