Hi! I'm Serena, a writer, builder of strong communities, and spark plug for social change. By day, I work for American Rivers, an environmental nonprofit in our nation's capital, where I work with local communities, as well as state and federal agencies, to demonstrate how river restoration can benefit both human and aquatic communities. I raise large sums of money, gain press and attention for issues I care about, and manage projects and partners that make rivers safer and healthier.
When I'm not working on behalf of rivers, I sometimes run a girl named sue. More than a blog, it's where I weave storytelling, adventure, and a bit of social activism through my writing on books and pop culture, travel/micro-adventures, and art. In 2013, I partnered with my friends Scarlet and Ravena to develop two podcasts: That's What She Read, a book lover's podcast on the latest books we're reading, and Friday Night Dinner: A Gilmore Girls Podcast.
Right now I'm pouring a lot of my energy into editing my first novel but can't seem to stop coming up with wacky ideas for collaboration. I get a special brand of giddy at just being able to make things happen.
Five posts to get you started
- Garlic and Sapphires
- Be disruptive!
- Search for Stars Hollow: Cumberland, MD
- It all began at the Sugar Shack
- Road to Saint Paul: Ice Cream
Five things you may not know about me
- The loss of pop culture icons Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston was huge, but it's the death of Bernie Mac that will still sneak up on me and choke me up from time to time. So much of my swearing is styled after him.
- I was (*cough* am) terrified of public speaking in college, so I signed up for the debate team.
- I still think that one day I'll be a spy-journalist-doctor.
- Somewhere out there video exists of me bungee jumping in high school.
- I feel like I have an inordinate amount of awkward peeing stories. Actually, you probably didn't need to know that.
Thanks for stopping by!
The Fine Print
This is a personal blog written and edited by me. All rants and opinions are entirely my own. I'm a Powell's Books affiliate and will get a small percentage of compensation for any items purchased through the Powell's affiliate link in the blog sidebar. Thank you for using this link and supporting my site!