I had a spectacular bookgasm about fifteen minutes ago when I realized that (1) the new Tournament of Books short-list has been announced and (2) the Nook e-book of Goldfinch is 50% off. Scrape me off the floor-level excited. Trust me, guys, this was the best thing that happened to me all day. Why, yes, my day must have stressful for that to be my peak.
Anyway, back to the Tournament of Books (ToBX). I didn't learn about this fun WAY BETTER take on NCAA March Madness until it was too late last year, so I'm stoked to catch the list in January. You can follow the link to read up on the event, but it's basically exactly what you'd imagine. The Morning News selected 17 books it feels are representative of outstanding fiction in 2013, and come March, they will be pitted against each other in the time-honored tradition known as bracketing.
I don't know about you, but I am all in. I like the idea of trying to read all 17 (gulp) of their picks by the beginning of March so that I can play along in the tourney. I'm a little skeptical of my ability to pull it off because (1) I can be cheap, (2) Oyster and all of the amazing backlist I have to read, and (3) new 2014 books to tempt me! The only book on this year's list that I've read is Eleanor & Park; however, I'm heartened by the fact that I found Goldfinch at a discounted price right after deciding to challenge myself.
So, who's with me in this wackadoo ToBX book club?
Finalists for the 2014 Tournament of Books
- At Night We Walk in Circles by Daniel Alarcón
- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
- The Tuner of Silences by Mia Couto
- The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
- How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
- The Dinner by Herman Koch
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Long Division by Kiese Laymon
- The Good Lord Bird by James McBride
- Hill William by Scott McClanahan
- The Son by Philipp Meyer
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
- [Winner of the Pre-Tournament Playoff Round]